Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Almighty

                If you have been in church or around people who attend church you may pick up on church language. One such word is Almighty; have you ever stopped and wondered exactly what that word meant or was a reference to? For someone who did not grow up in church, I needed some clarity. So let us take a look at what the Almighty really means in definition and in application to our lives.
            1.       Technical
a.       The American Heritage Dictionary defines Almighty as: Omnipotent, Great, God.
b.      The Holman Bible Dictionary defines Almighty as: God, El Shaddai.
c.       Literarily this means that God has complete power and control over everything. He has total control. El Shaddai is used in the book of Job thirty one times. The book of Revelation uses this reference nine times.

If we take the time to stop for a moment and put away the business of our lives we can see God’s power and majesty revealed to us. We are never alone. Ever. But it is our choice on how close we get to God’s power and majesty. He invites us all each day to draw closer to Him. In fact, the closer we get to Him, the further we get away from the world. It is in His power that we find direction, healing and renewal. It is in His power that we find forgiveness for our enemies, strength to conquer addictions and grace for when we mess up.
2.       Application:
a.       Job suffered the loss of much: family, wealth, reputation, health and he struggles with the question Why? The test of Job’s faith and loyalty to God began in the heavens with a discussion between Satan and God and then moves through debates between Job and his friends.  Below are some key lessons we can learn from the book of Job:
b.      The dark moments of our life will last only so long as is necessary for God to accomplish His purpose in us. Job 7:17-18, 23:10
c.       Trusting God means looking beyond what we can see to what God sees. Job 26:7
d.      Adversity is a bridge to a deeper relationship with God. Job 36
e.      God assumes full responsibility for our needs when we obey Him. Job 42:7-17
f.        Brokenness is God’s requirement for maximum usefulness Job 42:17
g.       Integrity and character are the foundations for leadership. Job 6:1-7:21

If you are reading this and wondering about God’s power in your life all I can do is share with you what He has done in my life. From the moment that I accepted Him into my heart and chose to let Him lead my life, I have found that God’s power meant that I did not have to rely on myself. It meant that when I needed someone to understand what was going on inside me, He was there and He understood. And fourteen years later He still understands and He is still there for me daily. I have seen His power at work directly in my life. And I shall continue to call upon my El Shaddai for the rest of my life. Sometimes I will be puzzled about why certain events happen or don’t happen but I will always love Him regardless.  And it is my prayer that you too will find the ultimate power in El Shaddai, the Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting!