Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Surrendering to God's Will

Do you struggle with surrender as I do? I admit I don’t know why I have so much trouble with surrendering to God’s will. I love God and I know without a doubt that He loves me. I also know that we are all on a journey to know our Father more intimately. And so here I am sharing with you the growth that He is doing within me and outward towards others. 

Maybe, at where you are at, you may identify with these statements as well. 


(The following information was copied from Seven Key s to Spiritual Renewal by Stephen Arterburn and David Stoop. Scripture came from the NKJV )

Surrender is trusting God to write and direct the script of our lives. 
Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good; a stronghold in the day of trouble, And He knows those who trust in Him. 

Surrender involves yielding or handing oneself up to the purpose of God and giving oneself up to the power of God’s Kingdom. 
Mark 8:3-37 When He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? 

Surrender means we allow the Holy Spirit to empower us to do the good He has planned for us to do 
Jeremiah 29: 11 for I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 

Surrender requires humility not only before God but also before human fellows 
Acts 20:28-19 And when they had come to him, he said to them: “You know, from the first day that I came to Asia, in what manner I [Paul] always lived among you, serving the Lord with all humility, with many tears and trials which happened to me by the plotting of the Jews” 

Surrender means we bring ourselves into agreement with God’s rules and try not to adapt them to agree to our weaknesses, preferences or political perspective. 
Exodus 34: 6-9 And the Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children’s children to the third and fourth generation.” So Moses made haste and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshiped. The he said, “If now I have found grace in Your sight, O Lord, let my Lord, I pray, go among us, even though we are a stiff necked people and pardon our iniquity and our sin and take us as Your inheritance. 

Surrender means that we accept life as it is and submitting to God in the midst of whatever happens 
Micah 7:7 therefore I will look to the Lord. I will wait for the God of my salvation; My God will hear me. 

Surrender is feeling safe enough with God to be vulnerable with surrendering to Him 
Psalm 119:117 Hold me up and I shall be safe, And I shall observe Your statues continually 

Surrender brings peace preserved by God’s strength 
Ephesians 2:14 and 17-18 for He Himself is our peace, who has made both one and has broken down the middle wall of separation…..And He came and preached peace to you who were afar off and to those who were near. For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. 

Surrender works out His purpose in all circumstances – the good, the bad and the seemingly impossible 
Luke 1:37 for with God nothing will be impossible. 

Surrender to God leads us away from temptation 
James 1:12 blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. 

Surrender leads us to our knees in prayer 
Matthew 6: 5-6 and when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets that they may be seen by me. Assuredly I say to you they have their reward. But you, when you pray go into your room and when you have shut your door pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 

Surrender teaches us that God seeks us 
Luke 19:10 for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost 

Surrender means giving up our efforts to change others and letting God change us instead 
Matthew 7:3-5 and why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. 

Surrender means submitting to God’s ways of doing things even when we don’t understand 
Romans 8:28 and we know that all things work together for good to those who love God to those who are the call according to His purposes 

Surrender means seeking God and His Kingdom 
Matthew 6:33 but seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added to you. 

Surrender means becoming childlike in our obedience to God. 
Isaiah 46:4 even to your old age I am He! And even to gray hairs I will carry you! I have made and I will bear! Even I will carry and deliver you! 

Thomas a’ Kempis, a fifteenth century writer, wrote the following passage: 

Do with me whatever shall please thee. For it can not be anything but good, whatever thou shalt do with me. If it be thy will I should be in darkness, be thou blessed. If thou grant me comfort be thou blessed and if thou will have me afflicted, be thou still equally blessed. My son such as this ought to be thy state, if thou desire to walk with Me. Thou must be as ready to suffer as to rejoice. Thou must cheerfully be as destitute and poor as full and rich. 

It sounds to me that Thomas Kempis found the true meaning of Philippians 4:11-12 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 


Dear Lord in Heaven, 
I pray Father that you will be gracious unto me and incline Your ear to hear this prayer. That You may reach out to each person who takes the time to read and to hear Your Word. Thank You Jesus for helping me understand what surrendering my will to You really means and I pray that You will sustain me in my soul as I put to practice what You have graciously imparted to me. May You bring sunshine and light to all those who love You and during the time of storm may You hold them close to You as they suffer through their storm. Lord, teach us how to let go of those we hold so closely here and give them to You so that Your will for us and for them will be accomplished in the days we have left on this earth. Please forgive us our trespasses on other and may you find mercy in Your heart for each of us. Lord I ask that You send out Your Holy Spirit unto those who You call Your own and fill each person’s cup to overflowing. Lord I ask that You send out Your Holy Spirit to those who do not know You and I ask a special request that these people – Your Creation – will turn from their hardness of heart and seek You. Thank You Jesus for your endless mercies and your love. Thank You for Your forgiveness. Father, I thank you for Your Son who sought me and gave me opportunity to give my heart and life to You. In Your arms is the only place that I want to be. Jesus……….Thank You…………..In Your Holy Name I Pray, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting!