Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Obedience - The Adventure Part 2

How many times a day are you able to choose? From the clothes you wear, the color of your hair, the food you eat, the blessings you bring, the blessing you don’t bring, the drama you create, the drama you don’t create....in all you have the right to choose. All through the day many small choices are made with little to no thought. But did you realize that those small choices made throughout the day can lead to a life of obedience to God? Acts of obedience in the small decisions will lead to acts of obedience in the larger decisions.

But what about those times, and we all have had them, where we wonder what we should do? Should I take that new job? Should I date this person? How many kids to have? Should I buy the house? Should I tithe? Should I give of my time? Should I use my gifts to further the kingdom of God? Are we ready for kids? Am I following God’s will? Am I listening to God? How do I know?

The Word of God directs us in all our paths – the way to go and the way to stay away from. How much you understand God’s Word is directly proportionate to you knowing and obeying His Word. For if you do not know God’s Words then how is it that you expect to be able to journey down the road of adventure in obedience.

In reflecting on my past, I made some really bad choices which were a result of not knowing, not caring, and not thinking that the Word of God was important enough to heed. After I accepted Jesus in my life, I still had to pay the consequences of these choices. However, along the pathway of right choices and new found obedience to the Word I found joy, peace, love, strength, friendship, loyalty, forgiveness, wisdom and most of all mercy. As far as my sin took me, grace caught me and delivered me into the hands of the one who loves me.

In reflecting on my present, I have found that through the years that I have become His daughter I have made choices regarding Him and have prospered. When I have made choices that are neutral I have neither decreased nor increased in prosperity. When I have chosen consciously not to do as God’s Word says then I feel a withdrawal from Him and the intimacy of my relationship with Him suffers. Notice I did not say that my prosperity is decreased during this time. It could and sometimes does but not always.

In addition, I have found that God is on your side, God is not the enemy in life, God does not hope for you to fail but God has put in place a direction of success for you! God is the one cheering you on when the rest of the world has walked away from you! God is the one, when no one is around to see your insecurities, whispers in your ear: You can do it!

Wow! I tear up with gratitude at His love and provision as I write this today and it has been 13 years since accepting Christ into my life. So let us start and keep on in our daily adventure in obedience!

1.  Attitude towards Obedience can be either:
     Positive --  Blessing        OR         Negative -- Burden
               
2.   Expressions of Obedience
      Loving/Trusting God    AND  Our acceptance and unavoidance of negative consequences

3.   Choices lead to Obedience
                Be active in choosing to choose obedience
                Be active in listening for His voice to direct you

4.  Focus on Obedience
                Be active in His knowledge – study the Word
                When directed, obey even when you don’t understand

5.  Results of Obedience
                Spiritual Insight
                Building Faith
                Worshipping authentically
    Imitating God in holiness, humility and love
                Motivating Obedience
                Lack of fear
                Wisdom
                Receiving Grace
                Expressing Spiritual Freedom
                Deeper love for God
                Relationships quality increases

If you have read through this far, don’t stop, the best is yet to come!

(NLT) Romans 6:17
Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you. 

(NLT) Genesis 22:18
And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed—all because you have obeyed me.”

(NLT) Exodus 19:5
Now if you will obey me and keep my covenant, you will be my own special treasure from among all the peoples on earth; for all the earth belongs to me.

(MSG) Deuteronomy 27:9-10
Moses and the Levitical priests addressed all Israel: Quiet. Listen obediently, Israel. This very day you have become the people of God, your God. Listen to the Voice of God, your God. Keep His commandments and regulations that I'm commanding you today
  
(MSG) 1 Samuel 15:22-23
Then Samuel said, Do you think all God wants are sacrifices— empty rituals just for show? He wants you to listen to him! Plain listening is the thing, not staging a lavish religious production. Not doing what God tells you is far worse than fooling around in the occult. Getting self-important around God is far worse than making deals with your dead ancestors. Because you said No to God's command, he says No to your kingship. 

(MSG) Romans 16:25-26
All of our praise rises to the One who is strong enough to make you strong, exactly as preached in Jesus Christ, precisely as revealed in the mystery kept secret for so long but now an open book through the prophetic Scriptures. All the nations of the world can now know the truth and be brought into obedient belief, carrying out the orders of God, who got all this started, down to the very last letter. 
  
     There is no greater love than the love that God directs towards you! Obedience is a path full of blessings awaiting to be discovered and cherished. You may be in a time of testing right now but take a moment and think, is this challenging time a result of obedience or a lack of obedience to God's Word?

     If you will choose to choose God’s way daily, you will be blessed because He loves you more than you know and He will provide for all your needs as you obey Him. He will also take your obedience to the generations that come after you. Just think about that! You have the power, right now, to affect those that will come after you in your family. Wow! God is faithful!!

     So I leave you with this my friend:
The only reason for failure is broken focus. Stay in the Word to keep your focus.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting!