Saturday, May 5, 2012

Block Balance Plan


I know I am not the only one who struggles with balance in their lives so the question is how do you keep balanced?
  • Things that keep you off balance:
    • Parenting, spouses, dating, finances, individual time, friend time, work time, writing time, marketing time, family time, relaxation time, housework time, sleep time, exercise time, hobby time, intimate time…how does it all work when  you are only one person?
  • Things to keep you on balance:
    • Setting Priorities, Setting Goals, Letting Go, Organization, Communication
Balancing requires knowledge of highest to lowest priorities. What or where or who do you spend most of your time? What is sacrificed? What do you want to be better? What are you willing to do to make it better? Anyone can take the easy road and quit or give in – Do you have what it takes to take the harder road and instead of grumbling find a creative solution? Take a moment to define your priorities.  

Now that you have defined from highest to lowest priorities, what are you going to do to keep from being unbalanced again?

 With this question in mind, I have created, in my own life, what I call the Block Balance Plan. Each hour of my day is scheduled as colleges schedule their classes. I schedule novel writing time, blog writing time, editing time, marketing time, family time, friend time, personal time, exercise time and more in blocked out hours. For example, sleep is blocked out for eight hours each day; novel writing for 3 hours on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday;  Marketing research for three hours on Tuesday and Thursdays; regular work week blocked out in 10 hours; and so on.

On this Block Balance Calendar I have also placed goals to achieve in finances, marketing, editing and writing. I borrowed the following quote from Joyce Meyer: People who set goals without target completion dates rarely accomplish their objectives.

 Too many people, I have found, have used the activities in their lives to keep them from pursuing their dreams. Note that sometimes it may take one person longer to fulfill their dreams than others – this does not mean they are inadequate, slow or an underachiever. It just means that they need extra time to make everything come together.

I went back to college when I was thirty five years old, whereas many people I know went to college straight out of high school. I published my first book at forty, whereas others publish in their twenties. Who has the better accomplishment? Neither – in both cases, both are equal accomplishments that required hard work, discipline and endurance.

Where are you at in pursuing the dream you have? What excuses do you make for not getting something accomplished?  I want for you ultimate success that I know God wants you to have. God is a God of order and balance and not chaos, so I urge you to think about implementing your own Block Balance Plan to bring your life from chaos to balance.

The New Living Translation Isaiah 45:18
For the LORD is God, and he created the heavens and earth and put everything in place. He made the world to be lived in, not to be a place of empty chaos. “I am the LORD,” he says, “and there is no other.

1 comment:

Thank you for visiting!