Friday, August 3, 2012

The Dance

Who would have thought that I would be shivering in 83 degree temperatures in August? Not I that is for sure. It is August 2, 2012 and I am at Electric Beach, Hawaii which is near Makakilo City. The birds are cooing in the background while the wind is chilling me after a bout of snorkeling.
In the water, the current is strong and snorkeling gorgeous. The different species of fish and coral leaves me stunned in its beauty and I am carried away to another time and another place as I drift off to sea.  I am being careful though as I am on my own and there are many fishing boats not too far away. I have been told by the locals that in early morning – between 6 and 8 am – there are pods of dolphins that come in this area to feed and play. How amazing would that be to swim with wild dolphins in the salty ocean?
But the point of this blog isn’t to tell you about how cold I am, or how beautiful the scenery is. Nope the point of this blog is about a man; a man that I don’t know and who does not know that he is being observed.
The building to the right of the parking lot is long with a concrete floor, concrete columns and has a roof that is not continuous. The stairs lead down to the floor and there he stood. Late fifties to early sixties, short in stature and slim. His weather faced pointed downward for only a moment as he lifted it, opened up his arms and started swaying to a beat only he could hear. 
Dressed in jeans that are worn and dirty, old boots that has seen seasons of wear and a common red t-shirt available at any local Wal-Mart; he circles the pavilion floor – one step to the right, move forward, two to the left, spin and on and on and on he went oblivious to anyone watching. He was lost in his world of freedom, of music and unaware of the impression he was having on me.
His face adorned with a smile as he concentrated on his steps, keeping true to the rhythm – I wondered what girl he was looking forward to dancing with. Or maybe he already had and just wanted to be a better dancer to impress her even more.  Was it is long committed wife? Or maybe a new love who has entered his life? Could be it was as simple as an approaching father-daughter dance since school has already started here? Would the girl even guess that he spent time practicing his steps....for her? But at any rate what struck me most – was how free he was – uninhibited to relax and move without feeling self-conscious by how he looked to others or even worries that this world can bring down upon him.
When was the last time that you felt free enough to let go to dance regardless if people were watching – when was the last time relaxation felt so good? Maybe it’s time to call a time out from whatever is going on and spend some time kicked back in Island Time Zone regardless if you are on an island, by the beach or smack dab in the heart of a city. Taking time to relax and block out all the worries that is pressing upon you. To slow down and say….I am in awe of this world- and its beauty- in which I live.
Being on the Island, I am definitely adjusting to what is called “Island Time”. Though many on the Island have to work two jobs to live here due to the high cost of living; from those I have met, they hold family and Island time in high esteem.
The longer I stay on this Island, the more spoiled I become in its endless beauty and of course the new and coveted time zone – The Island Time Zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting!