Thursday, June 20, 2013

Continuing...

Its been about a month since my last post. Wow, how time flies. Guess this one is going to travel a more personal note than a "writing" note.

The Oklahoma City area received four very destructive tornadoes. All is fine with my area. As I travel through the path of the storms, I am overwhelmed at the devastation they caused. I am recovering from surgery. All is fine. I took two classes to advance my aviation career this month. And that brings me to this.

How many writers take continuing education classes on writing? I have to be honest, I don't. But I am not sure why I don't expect for: time, money, etc. But if I will make time to take classes that further my aviation career wouldn't it stand to reason to take classes that make you a better writer? Oh yes...I think I will be looking into college creative writing classes or maybe back to the basics with editing... lol. The good news is, these classes can be done either online or at a college campus.

In the meantime, how do you get readers feedback on the writing that you do? Do you have a critique group to help you along with the edits, or the story line? I have joined a critique group that does very well in this area. It is helping me generate a more believable and authentic story for the readers although responses are sometimes slow.

What do you think? Are continuing classes for writers helpful?


3 comments:

  1. I am very much in favour of continuing education writing classes. I think continuous professional development is important in any career and writing is no exception. I've done many different levels of courses from the very basics to a Masters Degree and all are very helpful, always.

    I think the best thing about courses is meeting other writers, as it can be a lonely business otherwise.

    I've found various peer review / critique groups which are also very useful. These range from getting together with other people I've met on courses, to online groups such as http://www.youwriteon.com/.

    I'd say take the plunge and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Anna, all these things are well worthwhile. I have benefitted greatly from many ways of gaining peer critique.
    I don't find writing a lonely occupation, though certainly a solitary one and i think it is possible to become deluded about the quality of one's own writing if it isn't exposed to outside scrutiny.
    If you are serious about wanting to be the best writer you can be, by all means enrol in further ed classes. you will only benefit and most probably enjoy them.
    Christine
    cicampbellblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments and visiting my blog. Yes, I have found classes to be beneficial and also a critique group too! I am amazed at how many people think continuing classes or critique groups to be unnecessary. I am finding out that it makes me a better writer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting!