Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Experience the hashtag trending #IndieBooksBeSeen

I was invited to participate in the July 1st 2014 twitter even for hashtag trending for #IndieBooksBeSeen by @MarktheShaw The Keep of the Winds. To put it in Texas slang, 'I couldn't be more tickled pink' to be a participator.

I had never met Mark before and, in truth, we haven't really spoken. So, what was the attraction about participating in the July 1st event?

Indie authors and books. From all around the world we came together in the e-world and splashed our photos of us, our animals, our books, and a little bit more. Strangers united for a cause. Having fun while supporting one another.

I'm going to stop here for a moment and relate to you an experience that happened to me yesterday in real life vs e-world that exposes the attitudes that some, not all, people have against Indie Authors and their books. After posting a small tidbit of this on Facebook, another author friend of mine reported the same kind of attitude over in the UK and she is with a publisher!

I went into the public library and talked to the head director. For the story's sake lets call her Zulu. So here it goes.

Me: Hi Zulu, my name is K-Trina Meador and I am an author. I am interested in hosting classes at your library for people who are interested in becoming an author and I was hoping to have a book signing here sometime.

Zulu: Well, we haven't had much success with booksignings. What publisher are you with?

Me: I am self published.

Zulu: (stands up straighter, looks down her pointed nose at me) We get your kind in here all the time, and truthfully it is more work than its worth.

Me: (On the defensive now). Why the change in attitude?

Zulu: Anyone can self publish a book.

Me: That's true with the technology we have out there. And I admit there are some low quality books out there but there are some superb self published books too. But the fact that you are closed off to self published books means I am going to leave here and never come back because of your attitude. And it is because of people like you who make it harder for us (self published authors) who take the time to do and pay for editing, layout, and cover design.

Zulu: Well....wait a minute. Come back to my office for a minute. You said you were interested in teaching classes for free?

Me: Yes.

Zulu: What is your background? A teacher?

Me: No. I am an aircraft mechanic with my bachelor's degree in Business Management.

Zulu: (Looking extremely uncomfortable)

Me: I'll be going now.


So after this experience yesterday, being apart of the Indie Author trend the hashtag #IndieBooksBeSeen on the same day, I have to say that I saw many good books I want to read. I added many authors to my twitter list and I hope that we can become friends and supporters of one another.

Readers, I ask you to give Independent Authors a chance. We work a full time job, have families, and are struggling to make our dreams come true. Give us a chance.

Here are the photos of me with my books that I posted in the #IndieBooksBeSeen event yesterday. It is my greatest hope that you will go to twitter, search for the hashtag, browse through and purchase some of the books you find in the list. Every genre was represented from all around the world.





Author K. Meador is a mom to two grown sons who are currently pursuing their adult lives outside the home. For the past several years, she has traveled with her job and has now settled down in Oklahoma City area.

She enjoys photography, walking, and visiting with family and friends.

Please leave a comment on this blog and share if you are so inclined.  Author K. Meador has six books published which are available in paperback, eBook, and four are on audio. Thank you. Your support is truly appreciated. www.authorkmeador.com



8 comments:

  1. We'll get that respect my friend. And the #IndieBooksBeSeen movement wont stop until we do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark for stopping by. The event was fun and am looking forward to the next one.

      Delete
  2. I think that alot of that comes from the threat to traditional publishers and those that house and sell paper books.

    It is also a generational perception as the older generations are not completely comfortable with technology where the younger generation thrives on it.

    of course the threat is real at least to the publishing houses. It only takes a second looking at a new release for a main stream popular author to see the greed when the ebook costs sometimes 25 cents less then the paper book. Knowing that their costs are extremely diffrent between the two and you can see why people are more aptly to buy a indie authors work at a much more buget friendly price.

    There are fantastic indie authors out there and thats practically all I read anymore and post on my book review site. The greatest thing about indie authors is their willingness to engage the readers or ppst things about themselves and their lives that really humanized and connect with the reader. They can see we're just regular people with the same headaches, dreams, and assperations as them.

    Viva indies!

    @tywadebooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awful attitude, I thought librarians were meant to enjoy all aspects of the written word regardless of named backing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your tweet, and here I am. I'm only a blogger/reviewer but Indies are my favorites! I have found so many amazing novels through Indies and when I try to spread the word, they truly care. Your post was fantastic and I've shared it around! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I, too, have read some great Indie authors and feel like it is a shame when we are discriminated against. Thank you for sharing - it is very appreciated. Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. It is very sad that you were faced with that attitude. It happens in the UK too. I have been lucky with small local libraries who seem eager to have me give talks, though I haven't yet approached the main city library. Here's to continued support from one another and changes in attitude!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting!