Wednesday, August 6, 2014

#History Who said: He stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk


With the United States in a uproar about illegal immigrants, I thought I would present some facts about the Civil War period. It was a time in history that brought out the worst and the best in people. In addition, it was a time when unsung heroes emerged.



Question: How many soldiers who fought in the civil war were immigrants?


Answer: One-third and nearly one in ten was African American.




Question: What was the pay scale for soldiers?

Answer: White soldiers earned 13$ a month with officers making more. Negro Soldiers earned 10$ a month and were charged a $3 monthly fee for clothing. In September 1864, Negro soldiers persuaded Congress to fix the pay scale and made it retroactive from time of their service.

          
         
Question: Who is Harriet Tubman?

         
Answer: an escaped slave who led others to the Underground Railroad prior to the War. She taught freed slave women skills that earned them wages in the Union Army. Soon, she became a spy for the North.



Quote by Harriet Tubman:

"I had crossed the line. I was free; but there was no one to welcome me into the land of freedom. I was a stranger in a strange land."







        
Question: Two years prior to Lincoln being assassinated, there was an attempt on his life – How?

          
Answer: August 1863, Lincoln rode to his summer residence alone. Close to the residence a guard heard a gunshot and Lincoln galloped into the compound without his hat on. Two soldiers went to the area where he heard the gunshot and retrieved his hat which had a bullet hole in it.



       
 Question: What was the great Union General, William Tecumseh Sherman, demoted for?
       
Answer: Apparent Insanity. In October 1861, he told US Secretary of War that he needed 60,000 men to defend his territory and 200,000 to go on the offensive. The US Secretary of War thought the request was “insane” and removed him from command. In a letter to his brother, William Sherman wrote: “I do think I should have committed suicide were it not for my children. I do not think that I can again be trusted with command." 

However, in Feb 1862, Sherman was reassigned under Ulysses S. Grant who did not see insanity buy competence. 

The two became friends and General Sherman once said, “General Grant is a great general. He stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk; and now, sir, we stand by each other always.




Author K. Meador is a mom to two grown sons who are currently pursuing their adult lives outside the home. For the past several years, she has traveled with her job and has now settled down in Oklahoma City area.

She enjoys photography, walking, and visiting with family and friends.

Please leave a comment on this blog and share if you are so inclined.  Author K. Meador has six books published which are available in paperback, eBook, and four are on audio.  Thank you. Your support is truly appreciated. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting!